Monday, February 3, 2014

"Amores Perros" (Love's a Bitch)

"Amores Perros" is a movie from Mexico which was nominated for an Academy Award as best foreign film.  I was feeling a bit full of myself yesterday when I was talking with the Cadillac Man and he was talking about a movie as the movie freshest in my own mind was a foreign film with subtitles.  I'm just too hip ... but it's borrowed hipness as Cat told me about it.  Cutting straight to the punchline, her record on movie recommendations is holding steady.  Each one has been excellent, albeit in different ways.

Know that a central theme in the movie is dogfighting.  This, obviously, is abhorrent and it deterred me from watching the movie for some while.  In my view, dogfighting is one of the cruelest things people do and I saw no benefit in viewing anything on the matter.  On balance, Cat recommended it so there had to be some value.  (The other problem was that it was quite difficult to find a version with English subtitles but you can get it from Amazon.)

I did not regard any aspect of the portrayal of dogfighting as exploitative and I truly don't believe any animals were injured.  There was no focus on the violence beyond what was necessary and any shot of injured animals was done with make-up.  I'm sure if this were not true then it would have been uncovered by now as the film was received enormous international attention ... except in America ... and has won a great many awards.

There is some highly-charged sexuality in the movie and this is not so much in terms of nudity as there is relatively little of it but it's sexual nevertheless.  As with the dogfighting, there was nothing exploitative as every part of the movie fits with every other part.  There's always a reason.

It's not my purpose to tell you the content of the movie as that would deprive you of watching it.  Cat didn't preload anything before I watched and I won't do that either.  What I can tell you is that it was an extremely gifted photographer who set up the shots and the editing to string it all together was brilliant.  As it goes along a fairly intricate story is revealed and you wonder how all the pieces can possibly fit.  Without telling you how they fit, I can tell you that it will be revealed.

Here's a good taste of the movie from Control Machete (these scenes are not part of the movie):





Once again, Cat's recommendation carries.  It's brilliant.

No comments: