Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dallas Rears Its Face, Encrusted in Sores and Pustulant Abominations

(Intro deleted)

Best solution I can find is to stay away from where those crumbs hang.  Instead, they have an open mike set at Merry Pranksters on Sundays and that one is cool.  No-one makes any money but it's musically cool as they'll try anything.  Most of the high-ticket venues are a waste of time as you can hear the same thing in any karaoke bar and at the bar you can get a sandwich.  At Pranksters, if you have any kind of an act and you're willing to stream it then get on up there and make some noise.  There's also a technique whereby you can 'stack' multiple musicians on a stream and hear them all at the same time.  Whatever twisted stuff you can imagine, someone over there will try it.

For my own part, I really don't need to entertain and playing alone is always better because it's the ultimate freedom to play whatever you want.  It's not that you can make mistakes and get away with them but rather you can make mistakes and fix them.  That's the whole reason for making mistakes!

Performing isn't for any purpose of entertaining as that's secondary.  I try to be a little bit entertaining when I talk but that's not at all it when I play.  There's a communal vibe that comes from a lot of people doing the same thing.  Reaching that place is what performing does as I don't know any other way to do it.  Maybe you can get all dressed up in white robes with a bunch of other people and go to a TM camp in California but that's hardly the communal vibe I want.

You can hear what I mean when Voodoo plays as he's feeling what comes to him from the audience because at the MusikCircus you know people are really listening to what you do.  They don't come for dates, gambling machines, or naked women on poles, they come for the music.  This part isn't about being entertaining at all.  This part is a group journey and this is the musical gestalt that brings performers back to the stage.

So, no matter how much that Dallas story pisses me off and it really, really burns my ass, there's no way I'll stop performing unless I get stabbed with a wooden stake or shot with a silver bullet.

No comments: