Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Off the Wall" is Deemed Not to Suck

After you play something, you've got to listen to it and perhaps many times depending on how many stab wounds you want to put into yourself.  I've listened to "Off the Wall" multiple times and the lead guitar is not loud enough but I'm ok with it.  I want it to scream but I don't want it to pierce and the latter has been a problem.  You know I can get a much better mix in recording independent tracks but I want it live.   It's on the Ride the Dragon podcast:  Off the Wall (free).

Yesterday I said the audio sucks but really it doesn't.  It's not at all a studio recording but I wasn't trying to make one.  The density of the backing loop is something of extremely high interest to me and I'm curious to know what looper Voodoo uses as he seems to have quite high flexibility in bringing phrases and/or loop segments in and out of it.  Those are the bits that layer up to make the loop.

Yevette heard the set from the other room and she said there was something she really liked.  Um, "Off the Wall" wasn't it.  Maybe there will be time to look for it today.

After all these years, the Galaxy Guitar is closer to sounding like what I always wanted from a guitar than anything ever has.  It seems the colors it can paint are limitless but the touch is crucial.  She is not a sissy girl who just wants to hold hands and look at ducks.  You won't hurt her and she wants you to show her the power before she will come out to meet it.  This is important anywhere on the neck but it is absolutely crucial when you get high up.  If you are timid or afraid, you will die.  Now that is one bad-ass female!

Complex arrangements don't particularly interest me just now.  What I want is to bust through the Gateway with some simple chords and then stay there.  How long it's cool to stay there depends on how much you repeat yourself.  Some repetition is necessary and some is blindingly beautiful but too much is boring.

For the total musical mindfuck, there's when you ask if you listen to it because it's good or just because you did it.  You can amuse yourself all day asking that one.


One thing I did edit was to remove the build-up segment from the tune.  To make a loop, first play some piano, then bass, then maybe some angel voices, then some clean guitar chords, blah blah.  Even for a short loop that can take a long time.  The only other choice is to pre-record it but then it's not live so that's a balance to make.  Some kind of variation of this will definitely come up in the show tonight so we'll see.


For any SL show, I've been using Cat's audio stream as it's exceptionally reliable, etc.  However, it wouldn't be ok to put the URL on the open Internet as I'm not the only one who uses it.  Therefore, I'm seeing some value in getting another stream as then I could post it here and if you are interested to listen, you could tune into it via iTunes, WinJam, etc.  You wouldn't see my studly avatar but I imagine you would survive.

No comments: