Friday, February 7, 2014

Kickin' Out de Jams at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Sometimes music is a lot like Microsoft's Windows ... the only way to make it work is to turn it all off and start the bitch back up again.  And so the set started last night.  Each time I'd try to get a loop going, the tempo would jump around all over the place and the tempo is only allowed to jump around if you make it that way but, alas, I did not.

There's only so much debugging of hardware you can do in a live gig so I quickly decided to go for the brute force solution and restart everything.  There was no clear reason for the failure but restarting the failing gear fixed it.  I have no explanation for why that would be as it has never happened before and I've used this kit in various combinations for years.  It's not a crisis, it's just not the best way to start a show.

As things disintegrate, I get progressively more experimental.  I'm not going to go through all the heartache and mindfuck of a gig disaster just to play something again that I played last week .... sooooo ... there's about an hour or so of material in the archive of the show and who knows what's in it.  There's one tiny problem with that:  I have to listen to it to discover what's inside.  I probably will and, if there's coolness, I'll upload something to the podcast later.

As I'm playing the set, I'll stop every so often and tell people that was Jam 1, Jam 2 or whatever as hardly anything has a name and part of that is because I want it fresh and the other part is that I don't give any kind of a damn about anything being preserved when I'm gone.  In my world, the only time that matters is now and anything else is irrelevant.

However, I do have some DVDs and whatnot I made around the time of the Cincinnati show.  I'll go through them later and maybe put up a page to sell them.  There are no other recordings as there were some CDs online but I took them down.  I won't put them back as the audio quality is not good enough for what I expect today.  The DVDs are recorded much better so we'll see what is available and perhaps some more on that later.

No comments: