Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nothing is Real

I was standing there quietly watching the sunset and a fellow walked up to me.  He didn't say anything for a little while but then announced, "None of this is real."

Not quite clear what he meant, I asked him, "Nothing is real?  We aren't real?  What do you mean?"

He became a little indignant as he seemed to think his meaning was readily apparent:  "Nothing is real.  It's all a virtual creation.  Can't you see that?"

This amused me somewhat so I questioned back at him, "If it's not real then how could I possibly see what you're seeing?"

He became furious and insisted, "None of this is real, damn it.  None of it!"

At this point I was starting to enjoy it and asked him, "Can I assume that what you're saying is real?  If so then it seems clear that at least that much is real but perhaps nothing else is."

Quite angry at my density, he started shouting, "Yes, exactly.  What I'm telling you is real but nothing else is!"

Really amused at his indignation, I asked again, "If nothing else is real then presumably that includes me so there's really not much point in telling me anything.  Am I following you so far?"

"I'm telling you so you will understand, damn you!"  He was really furious now but he seemed to enjoy that.

I replied, "Perhaps I'm not being clear.  If I'm not real then what difference does it make if I understand?"

He said, "I'm trying to make a point and you're deliberately making it seem like you don't understand."

Starting to tire of his discussion, I asked him, "Could you be a little more clear on what point you're trying to make?"

Really angry now, he shouted further, "My point is that nothing is real and it's a mistake to take anything too seriously."

Anger was rising in me at that point as this was turning into a relentless and pointless assault.  I said simply, "If that's true then there's no reason to take your point seriously."

And that was the point that he waved his fist at me and strode away down the beach, muttering to himself, "Μαλάκας."  (You'll have to look that one up yourself)

I went back to watching the setting sun as it wouldn't be long before it was completely dark and I would have to turn around to go home.

No comments: