Friday, November 30, 2012

Certain in Life are Death, Taxes ... and Dentists - Updated

After a quite long period of dental travesty in America, yesterday was the moment when I could finally see a dentist who is willing to take on my case.  I won't delay the punchline so I'll tell you immediately that it will cost about €3000 of which I have about €1400 and that will deplete the nest egg.  The one thing that prevents this from being an immediate blazing crisis is that there is so much damage that it will take roughly two years to repair it all.

Likely only long-time regulars will want to continue through the rest of this one.

I have very high confidence in the professional skills of the dentist and I'll just call her Georgia for now.  It makes sense to call her that as Georgia really is her name.  That may lead you to expect her to speak with an American southern drawl but she speaks very little English.  Mary again volunteered to help as she not only took me to the appointment for the consultation but she translated between us as the consultation proceeded.

Georgia is a professional which means many things, most important to the immediate topic is that she doesn't expect me to come up with the entire sum before she starts and it will be paid during the course of the treatment.  Therefore, I will go in for my first appointment with her for performing the actual repair in about an hour.

Perhaps you'll think it was extravagant to get the Hooter Scooter but it's required to eat and if I don't eat then having teeth is largely irrelevant.  It's no exaggeration on the requirement as the supermarket is ten or fifteen kilometers from here and Mary is my good and dear friend but expecting her to run a commute to keep me supplied with foodstuffs is not at all an act of my friendship on my part.

The most obvious solution is to sell the Galaxy Guitar and the audio equipment as it doesn't make any money and it's not likely that it will due to my quite determined effort not to hype anything musical that I do.

There isn't a good answer but I do know that coming back to the U.S. isn't on the list of possibilities.  I'll never forget your generosity in putting me up in Fort Worth and Nashville but I couldn't stay as it just wasn't possible after a lifetime of independence.  Here in Greece I'm broke but I'm free.  There's no possible way I could rent in America anyplace that didn't come with a fairly large population of crawling insects and malevolent rodents along with what would be a likely population of two-legged rodentia with guns on the streets outside.  I know how it is in the ghetto, I've lived there.

Any thoughts on the matter are of high interest and you can comment here or reach me by email.  One thing I won't do is post a 'donate' badge here on the blog as it's tasteless and it's offensive to the theme of the story.

Update:

I saw Georgia this morning and Mary's recommendation was excellent.  I was very confident after meeting Georgia last evening and that confidence is definitely warranted.  She did a great deal of work in a relatively short time, relieving some substantial problems right from the start.  I will see her again on Monday and the biggest problem is finding her office, plus it could get a little soggy on the scooter if it rains.

No comments: