Friday, November 23, 2012

Sunset from the Kastro Bar


In the summer time there would probably be a billion people on the beach below and I would most likely I would be somewhere else.  Now, in 'winter,' it's a great place to hang-out and I met Μακισ (Makis), the owner, and Αλεχισ (Alexis), the guy who actually does the work (laughs).  Both were very cool and, alas, I don't have any idiosyncratic tales to tell but I do have one from earlier in the day.  That one involved Robinson Crusoe on a small island nearby.  That story would be better with a picture so it will wait until tomorrow.  Something charming to me is that both places are in walking distance of where I live.

What this picture doesn't show you is that the water is about 21C / 70F and there were some fellows swimming in it a little later in the evening.  It's also a little hazy so you can't see some islands in the distance.  I'm told they're within easy sailing distance and so is Ithaka, although a little bit longer.

The biggest marvel about this view is another thing you can't see because it's underwater.  The area was leveled by a volcanic explosion / eruption a few thousand years ago and there are ruins all over the place under the water.  You can't even have to know how to scuba dive to see it as the water is fairly shallow.  There is quite strict regulation on bringing stuff up but it is permitted, even to place the piece in your house, so long as it's approved by the local police.  I have no interest in collecting anything but it would be astounding to see it.

(Ed:  Just where exactly is this volcano?)

Oh, yah, well, it's just down the road from here too (laughs)

No comments: