Monday, November 19, 2012

Searching for Ithaka - Introduction


I swam out into the warm waters of the Ionian Sea, intending to swim so far that I would be too tired to swim back to the rocks along the beach, and then drink deep the pure water before sliding below to disappear.  But then I heard the voice of my father calling to me to drink the potion he had given me so long ago.  Of course I heeded him as his voice was like no other.

After drinking it, I found strength returning to my arms and I stroked strongly through the water.  Soon my arms became as wings and lifted me right above the waves, flying high above the sea with the Island of Ithaka coming into view in front of me.

The sun broke through the clouds and warmed my wings as I flew closer to the island.  I slowly approached and descended until softly landing on the warm sand of the beach.  Tired from the flying, I lay down to rest in a grove of olive trees nearby and quickly fell asleep.

When I awoke I was standing on the rocks, looking out over the sea at the island, right where I began.

No comments: