Friday, November 30, 2012

Saying Thank You Works Powerful Magic

Whenever I'm talking to anyone, I always make a point of saying, "ευχαριστώ," (thank you) when they've helped me in some way.  It's quite a lovely thing to see the smile that sometimes comes as they appreciate the respect, as anyone would.

Americans aren't at all good at saying thank you and you can write your own editorial on that but one thing I know for sure is that the perception of Americans around the world likely improve substantially if that changed.  Americans many times don't even say thank you to each other that much and people start to think it's not necessary but manners are quite a good thing.

I'm thinking of the Melrose Rock Bar the other night as do you seriously believe you would see anything like that in an American bar.  I talked to Mary about this today as, eat yer hearts out on this one, after going to see Georgia, she took me to meet some of her friends and I spent about an hour with half a dozen ladies.  They were the Shining Stars, in fact (more on that another time).  Oh Lord, feel my pain!

So we talked about violence and the pervasiveness of it in America but Mary said you would see similar things in Athens.  However, I have trouble believing that Greece sees anything on the order of Chicago where it wasn't uncommon to hear of a dozen people being shot dead in a single night.  Nevertheless, ugly stuff happens in Athens and even, albeit infrequently, in Pyrgos.  I asked her about shootings and she said never.  She said that there would be a rare incident of a beating or a stabbing over a bad drug deal so apparently there isn't anywhere exempt from that but there is no gunplay, ever.

You may wonder why I'm writing at six in the morning and that would be my teeth.  There is a little, erm, sensitivity from this morning's experience but I'm deeply-appreciative as Georgia did more in an hour than any other dentist would do in the last four years.  I have one simple word to say to her:  ευχαριστώ (efharisto).

No comments: