Friday, September 20, 2013

Live from Belly Buster in Leith, Scotland

The computer I use is an Apple laptop and the battery life is incredible.  It's been running for 3.5 hours and is at 45%.  I'm not using video or anything that will chew up the battery faster but it's impressive to me that the battery has lasted this long doing anything at all.

It always amuses me to see the hecklers line up to fling poo every time Apple does something but I've used computers that you probably wouldn't recognise and I've never seen anything that will do a better job of it.  Probably the worst was Digital's microVax but I think they're extinct these days.  I haven't heard anything of Digital in years.  They were responsible for the idea of distributed computing and that got people thinking it was clever to put Windows machines all over the place.  Network costs went through the ceiling and from that came the all-purpose excuse of the modern age:  the computer is running really slowly today.  Computers aren't slow, stupid implementations are.

An observation from here at Belly Buster.  There is a funeral shop next door and it has a price list in the window, one of which reads, "Care for the Deceased."  I might be wrong but I was under the impression that being deceased meant that you're beyond care but apparently not and, yahoo, there's a bill for it.  "The Great Lebowski" showed how to do a funeral right:  burn up my worthless carcass, put the ashes into a coffee can, and chuck it into the ocean.

No comments: