Friday, September 6, 2013

Answering Your Questions

What's in Texas ... other than Crap Mariner?

Well, Crap Mariner is a perfectly excellent reason to go to Texas as he's one hell of a good guy ... but that's not the reason.  The instruments I couldn't take to Greece are still in Texas and I can go back to visit them.  Yevette has graciously consented to put me up at her place so it would be very cool there.  Well, very cool except when it's 107F.

The extra coolness is that it's easy to get to Nashville from there so I can see Lotho and his family.  It's been almost a year!  I have no idea how much The Baby has grown in that time.  I guess she will be ready for college by now.


What's the problem with traveling to US on the UK passport?

I can't enter the US on a UK passport without a visa.  It's probably not too much of a hassle to obtain one but it's silly when I have a US passport.  I see all of this as stupid flag-waving rubbish but so it goes in a paranoid world.


What about getting a burner or a pay-as-you-go phone?

I'm not sure what you mean by a burner.  CD burner?

Pay-as-you-go might work out ok.  It depends on what happens at the US Embassy whether I need one.


Pity you didn't make it to Germany.   On the other hand, northern Germany is a bad place to be in the Winter, when you're broke.

I didn't make it this time but that doesn't mean I never will.  The object is to regroup and try again.  Right now it's impossible but we will see what comes.



In other news:

I will be going to the US Embassy on Edinburgh on Wednesday to sort out the expired US passport.  If I try to enter the US on a UK passport, I need a visa.  It's probably obvious by now that I look at all of this as stupid flag-waving rubbish but everyone's a terrorist, blah, blah.  If they give me any flak in the Embassy maybe I'll ask if they want to see my discharge papers from the US military.  Ya got those too, buddy?  (Yah, I sucked as a soldier.  More blah, blah, blah)

My sister has most generously offered to help to get me to US but to do that I have to get to Amsterdam. I've discovered Easyjet can get me there for forty-five pounds which isn't too terrible.  I know that seems twisted when I could fly out of Edinburgh but there are sound reasons.  She works for an airline and I won't mention which one as I doubt they need any publicity here.

No comments: