Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"The Choice" - Poem

Now you stand before me,
you broke our strongest law.
You have been open and thinking freely
and now we will reckon the score.

There are two choices we can offer,
which is worse I cannot say.
We will give you death or poverty
but we don't care either way.

You won't make any welfare babies,
you won't complain when we hunt our prey.
You won't waste our time with honesty
as the Good Book doesn't pay.

So make your choice and quickly,
we have no time to waste on you,
your problem is a trifle,
and we've much better things to do.


But, Judge, I do love Jesus,
I'd just like to hear him play.
But I don't like hearing covers,
I hope he has new songs today.


You blaspheme here in God's House
and verily will pay the price.
To us it doesn't matter
as no-one will hear your cries.


This is no House of Jesus
No magistrate was ever Lord.
Don't tell me I'm blaspheming
when your offense was biggest of all.

You asked about death or poverty
but death is no threat at all.
Take my life and free me
from your tawdry shopping mall.


Prisoner, face the Courtroom.
You stand guilty in your crime.
You have committed unlawful thinking
and for this offense you die.

We won't miss you when you're buried,
we don't care about your soul.
Take your guitar one last time
and die with your rock and roll.

No comments: