Thursday, March 20, 2014

"On the Beach with Orange Sand" - Silas Scarborough (audio)

"On the Beach with Orange Sand" was recorded at Cat's Art MusikCircus this evening and it was the first one out of the gate.  I've always loved it in a concert hall when the synth has a single tone going that fills the entire place and it hangs there ... until ... until ... boom ... on with the show.  In the tune I do it for a reason as I'm waiting to see on the screen that Cat can hear it in Second Life.  It takes thirty seconds one-way for the audio to reach Second Life and I assume that's because someone doesn't have enough Higgs bosons or some such.  You have to watch out for those rascals, they're fidgety.

I've been dancing around with various forms of these chords for a couple of weeks as all of this comes back to whether it's Cool Enough for Cat.  I know she can hear the difference and she won't say ooh la la when what she really needs a sound like a billygoat.  So it's got to be cool, everyone who plays there knows that.  She listens intently so, well, don't fuck up!

Oh, you think this is just chat, eh?  I tell you it's true and check this.  How much do you think Cat and I send IMs back and forth during a show.  That'd be close to zero there, Gladstone.  I'm telling you, she listens.

"On the Beach with Orange Sand" is on the Ride the Dragon podcast for free.


I feel almost totally disconnected from almost every other Second Life musician as what they do is so remote that there's no common ground except many of us hold guitars.  I have almost no idea what I'm going to do in a set except, well, show up.  Some loops may be set up in advance ... or not ... but those are just chords usually.  This will be a shock, I'm sure, but most of the musicians to whom I feel the most of a relationship play at the Circus.

This isn't about being better or worse than anyone else but rather being on a beach with orange sand.  You don't know where it is and it sure as hell isn't here.  Maybe that's good but going into it you just don't know.

No comments: