Tuesday, April 11, 2017

"On Turning Away" ... Was Why I Turned Away

Run rabbit run
Dig that hole, forget the sun
And when at last the work is done
Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one

- "Breathe" - Pink Floyd

That's what I love about Pink Floyd ... feeling suicidal.  Playing the Galaxy Guitar makes me feel suicidal as well but that's only as a public service to prevent the music from getting out; it doesn't leave me thinking it's a good idea.

So I did that.

The stitchery didn't bitch since it's had a few days to heal so fuckin' deal with it.  Am I right, mates?

That went surprisingly well and, no, I didn't fuckin' record it but I liked the bit.  I hadn't tried these chords this way and that made a pleasant mini progression which just begged to be looped.  The fingerwork on top of that wasn't as fast I want it to be but definitely as fast as it needed to be because I want a minimal kind of counterpoint and that was working.


There was zero raucousity and Yevette didn't even hear it.  At that level it probably would have been tough to record it well anyway but for now it's not necessary.  I needed to know the Galaxy Guitar is tuned since I don't want her neck getting overstressed due to improper tension from the strings.  She was sounding good and to sound excellent she really needs more boost but it was good.

Ed:  was this just to show your arm who is the master?

Sure it was partly but mostly I just want to feel the strings and hear what they do.  There isn't much Psychology to it.


My arm will not fucking control me because I am Spartacus.

Ed:  he was the drummer, man

Ref:  "That Thing You Do"

OK, then I am Thor and I have lightning bolts.


Ed:  are you still trying to pitch what you do as Impressionism?

Yep

Ed:  which means you can just make up some rubbish and call it music?

Yep.  That's what I do.  If it's good rubbish then they put your name in lights and send you to MTV.  That's kind of how it works.

Ed:  is that your dream?

Nope

Ed:  are you deliberately an asshole in interviews when you give a curt answer like that?

Yep


I just want to feel the strings.  If you never picked up a stringed instrument then do it and feel that.  The whole instrument vibrates when you pluck one.  For your first time it's like the instrument transforms into some magical being because, well, it is.

I remember the first time I held a guitar like the first time I had sex and, I'm tellin' you, mates, it went much better with the guitar.  I remember how her whole body vibrated after strumming it as I had never imagined such a thing.

Ed:  the girl?

No, man.  The guitar.  You may not be quite grokking the Rockhouse Experience, mate.

No comments: