Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A Soldier Stands Up With His Grandmother

The soldier is my nephew and my ol' Mother was standing up beside him because I believe this must have been his wedding day.  That he is blood doesn't change anything about my position on soldiering since my only consideration is bringing him back alive along with all the other soldiers.

Note:  he's no longer on active duty and I'm most pleased to tell you he came through it just fine.



There are some statements lately about paper generals with fake medals but anything this man wore he earned the hard way.  This must have been early in his military time because he's only a PFC.  Even I was an SP/4 and I never did much of anything.  Likely that means this is before he did combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq.  When this kid wears medals, he earned them; he didn't go to West Point where they give away medals as party favors.

I can't tell but these must be his 'dress blues' since I damn sure never wore a bow tie with my uniform and I damn sure wasn't going to pay for dress blues.  I also didn't get married during my time and that would make a monster difference.  In Vietnam Era, you were advised not to travel in uniform due to the hooting and abuse which would inevitably come.  That was unbelievable bullshit since the soldiers don't start the wars, they only get killed in them.  If you want to hoot someone, find a general as they usually never even get their feet wet.


Maybe this is one of the proudest days of his life and you see he stands military tall.

"Stand straight.  Suck that gut in.  Pull those shoulders back!" - Drill Sergeant Harvey

It looks like he had a Drill Sergeant Harvey of his own and it works the same with everyone as I still hear those words and I still try to do it.


I have many military editorials but this isn't the place for them.  I'm just glad he got back here without getting shot up.  He's a family man now with at least two kids so he won't be going off soldiering anymore.  You go, young man.  You go and make those babies.  Yes, it's with the same woman.

No comments: