Thursday, January 7, 2016

Dry Run of "The Sanctuary Song" is In the Bag

This was not a high-volume play through of the song but it had enough punch to be convincing and work with it.

The only twist was repeating the last verse / chorus and then an immediate exit to leave it at that.  Felt like a good way to do it.

Only needs recording now ... and lights ... and cameras ... and lasers ... and smoke ... and

It would be cool if Yevette could run lights while it happens and it's not difficult except that gets her trapped here for the duration and it's ferocious loud for recording and general mayhem.  Her preference is to be at least a couple of rooms away because it's too fookin' loud.

Don't read that wrong as she's really cool about it.


If Yevette could run lights then she could switch the patches controlling the laser set up, turn them on / off, etc.  That adds another great dynamic beyond edits to the video tracks from the different cams.

The regulars have read in agonizing detail of the attention every other aspect of the song gets and the lasers extend the story, they aren't the actual story.  I'm not defensive, I just need it to be clear if you're not one of the regulars.


Maybe it happens tonight but there's still a lust for another cam in the lights.  I know I can get one more cam with the laptop the next time I shoot it but I want one up there.

So we'll see ... it will get shot tonight and we shall see what comes from that one after the video edits.  It's got to blow me to the Moon or it's not finished.

(Ed:  what if it doesn't blow me to the Moon, Lightning Boy?)

My hope is it will blow you to the Moon but my demand is it will blow me there.


This isn't like preparing for a set because in a live set no matter what you do, you will have to follow it with something else.  It's a different kind of thinking.

This is also a problem for that kind of live because of the setup time for each song.  I don't screw around with lights and smoke for something for that kind of performance but there's still a lot between songs which needs to be done.  Only a small part of that is finding the right loop in the looper because it's much more time-consuming to ensure voices are correct on all instruments, etc.


Tuning up the vibe to record in about eight hours or so.

No comments: