Tuesday, October 11, 2016

One More from China

Some may not have believed me when I said my ol' Mother was lifted off the ground by coolies (i.e. word, probably insulting, which refers to Chinese laborers) because it wasn't acceptable for her little feet to get wet or dirty.


Can you even begin to imagine how much they hated white people.  It's impossible for me to identify with the situation even when she's my ol' Mother.  She would tell us stories from back in China as a kid and it was like hearing about Oz or some such.  She was a remarkable woman as she didn't only see different countries, she saw multiple continents.

Come to think of it, so have I.  China was a miss, tho, and that would have been spectacularly cool.  Who ever thinks of China and going to the beach.  It's just lightyears from here.


This kind of slavery wasn't necessarily imposed by the Brits as you really don't want to be a coolie in China.  As nearly as I can tell, that class is similar to the untouchables in India and you're completely screwed if you're one of them.

No comments: