Thursday, January 7, 2016

Second Dry Run of "The Sanctuary Song" in the Bag

This didn't get a recording in the bag but, on this end, it plays out just the same.  There's still the possibility of a recording run tonight but unknown if there's enough juice in my corpus for that.

It may seem like chasing my tail but there are slight changes between each run and they're not dramatic enough for any particular comment but in sum they make the song better.  The reverb on the vocal came up just a bit and there's part of the chorus in which I'm still changing the vocal a little.


That the news has been so boring has turned out well because there are few distractions.


The biggest distraction is string guilt because they need to be changed but not because they sound bad, it would make them sound better.  She's good about holding a tune but new strings will always stretch so that will cost a day for recording.  So this should happen when there's daylight ... as in tomorrow.


Part of this is weight training as I hardly live the life of an Olympic athlete so playing the guitar is the most physical thing I do.  It's a lot more physical than you probably think and I can feel from today how it goes in my arms.  My fingers must be hella strong because they never wear out.  I guess I would have made a great Boston Strangler and, why not, that pays about the same as for musicians (larfs).


Some cat was wishing plaintively today for some funding sources to hear him and sponsor recording a CD but, in plain English, that's a recording contract because getting the CD recorded doesn't accomplish much.  Getting it advertised and distributed is the part musicians hardly ever know how to do, at least not very well.

If you get the recording contract, you get paid peanuts relative to what all the other machinery gets paid but that's peanuts out of a huge pile of money so you still wind up with a swimming pool and life looks good.

My choice is the opposite because I focus on nothing but the music and I don't expect anyone to come knocking at the door.  There's nothing defeatist in this but rather it's total freedom to make music any way I want.

(Ed:  so fookin' record it!)

This is luxury, man.  Say I had a recording contact, some annoying person with a bow tie and a clipboard would be bugging hell out of me to finish this in seven days or, gosh, he thinks he may have a nervous breakdown.

(Ed:  too much coffee)

Yah, way too much.

(Ed:  be careful what you wish for)

And that definitely won't be a wish for coffee or a bow tie.

It will come.  I'm confident the video mixed down with the song makes a good, if highly strange, trip.  I love the imagery Hendrix created in "Little Wing" and this one isn't even close to a cover of that except in terms of making worlds.  He had moonbeams and zebras and I've got people getting sucked off the street into some cosmic vacuum.  You know ... things evolve.

No comments: