Monday, January 11, 2016

Stalking "The Sanctuary Song" Take 7

Since darkness is here and I am still conscious, that means shoot Take 7 of "The Sanctuary Song" this evening.  The stalking for that is now active and let's see if it can be done in less than five or six hours this time.

The two things I want the most out of this are to ensure the quality of the vocal is what I want because it can't be too dry but neither can it be wallowing in reverb.  The amount of reverb you will need will vary from one song to another.  This isn't a song about her boyfriend's back and that kind of song probably doesn't want much reverb.  "The Sanctuary Song" is about a place of respite from the generic demons of the world so we're wanting a little more depth in the perception of it.

The other thing is to bring down the top end of the guitar.  There's a hugely dramatic string bend way up the neck and that one has immense potential for going over the top of too much intensity.  An electric guitar has huge treble intensity anyway but you can boost that to the point it can burn old wallpaper from walls so we need just a wee bit short of that.  This will extend something I did last time and I want more of that because it worked well to dialing the sound of the guitar.

You can adjust excessive treble with EQ in post-processing but attenuating it at that point is slicing into the ambience of the overall sound rather than the sound of the guitar alone and that's definitely not my preferred way to do it.  Ideally, there is almost no sound modification between that which was recorded and that which winds up on the video.  That's true for almost anything I record because I don't want anything coming from magic and mirrors after the fact.


There's no change to music, lyrics, structure, etc.  That part is over.  The only consideration is play it right.

So ... stalking another Take.


First check complete.  Treble was dropped two decibels for the Galaxy Guitar and that's seven total off from where it was.  The result means I can drill it hard on the top end without it drawing blood from anyone's ears.  The guitar sound is configured in maybe a dozen different setups which wrap together to make the particular sound I want for the Galaxy Guitar.  The treble setting I'm changing is kind of a broad overlord parameter.

It was blistering just now and louder than it needed to be but sure did feel grand and she sure sounds like she is ready to record.


Voice check now complete also.  Just a bit more reverb on the vocal gives it what I want.  No chance I will ever sound like Robert Goulet but it's a fairly convincing Silas.  It's unusual to have to critique my own singing and it's a hammer bitch of confusion doing it but this sounds remarkably pleasant.


There's one more thing to check before doing it since there was a whole lot of light on the last one and that blows the 'annihilation of self' idea all to hell but has the benefit you can actually see what's happening.  All of this has to be electron microscoped before starting because it costs me three hours in edit time if I get through that and decide there's something I don't like which I could have changed in the setup.


No need to keep updating this bit and the next article will come after the capture is complete which comes in an hour or two.

No comments: