Friday, October 23, 2015

Veterans Administration Reality

There is a skin cancer on my arm which was brought to the attention of the Veterans Administration a year ago.  Nothing happened.

I know it's skin cancer because they have been nicking basal cell carcinomas off me since about 2004.  A basal cell carcinoma is why I have difficulty whistling because one of these cancers was on my lip.  To ensure they removed all of it, the surgeon did biopsies periodically during the course of the surgery to be sure of it.

Note:  never ever have surgery on your lip.  It's tiny but it's annoying like fire ants in your bedding, presumably because of all the little muscles to do all the, um, novel things lips do.


The cancer on my arm was brought up again a month ago and there was the promise of making an appointment with the dermatologist at the Fort Worth VA Clinic even though he cannot do the more advanced procedures which are possible at the Dallas VA Clinic.  The purpose was to discover immediately whether this is melanoma since it's significantly different from others and meets all the qualifications.  This was my insistence ... but ... it still never happened.

There is no immediate fault.  The VA doesn't have enough money to get anything done in any reasonable time and I'm not high priority anyway so the VA did not fail to do the best it can with what little comes from misers in Washington.  I did not fail as this has received attention from me multiple times from me but nothing came of it.


Where the heart testing next week is annoying and probably bad news, the skin cancer situation is scary and all the more so since I cannot get anyone to do anything and it's damn sure not for lack of trying.  I know what it is and I want it fixed.  Don't think for a millisecond this is a Web diagnosis gone wrong as I was on a three to six months callback with a dermatologist over ten years ago.  I know what the stuff looks like and I know this definitely has to go (i.e. surgical removal).  The procedure to get rid of them is not complex ... unless they fiddlefuck around until nothing can be done about it.  That's the reason it's scary; when there's something and you can't do anything about it then that is going to chew your skull.

If I'm croaked behind this, know damn sure that Congress did the killing by failing to adequately fund the Veterans Administration and the Tea Party will be guilty of negligent homicide although hardly for the first time.

No comments: