Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Books People Lie About Reading

The impetus behind writing of books people lie about reading may seem like an intro to Trump's latest fiasco with Andrew Jackson but that story don't got no legs.  (Ithaka:  Donald Trump Really Eats the Chimichanga with Knowledge of Andrew Jackson)

According to The Guardian, people lie the most about reading The Lord of the Rings," anything by C.S. Lewis, and James Bond novels.  (The Guardian:  James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Narnia – the books we most pretend to have read)

I can take an elitist bow since I have read them but some were easy since my ol' Dad loved Bond so I could steal the books after he read them.  Unknown how I ran into Aslan the Lion and of course I've been to Middle Earth; no, not just in the movies.

How about a bet for the books Boomers lie the most about reading (a guess):

  1. "Dune" - Frank Herbert
  2. Anything by Kahlil Gibran
  3. "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - Robert Pirsig
  4. Anything by Alan Ginsburg
  5. "On the Road" - Jack Kerouac


None of this is PhD English Lit but it makes a good foundation on what humans are and not these alone but in the wider context of reading in general.  I have had my concerns and probably still do that the PhD level of it is too stylized and exclusive.  That's probably not accurate but rather my perception.  Nevertheless, I need the guttural since it's part of us and often the most honest part.

Note:  guttural has nothing to do with the gutter and I take it to mean primal  or so.


I thought that selection of books was interesting and I don't see why ask about those and not some others.

Fibbing about our reading habits is, apparently, more common than we realise. According to the Reading Agency, which carried out a survey for the recent World Book Day, 41% of the 2,000 people polled admitted they had, in relation to the books they had claimed to have read, “told a lie, an odious damned lie; Upon my soul, a lie, a wicked lie”.

- Guardian

I'm not quite getting the purpose of shooting a line since how does that play if someone asks you what's in the book.


That’s from Shakespeare’s Othello – not that these mendacious millennial malefactors would know, for according to the survey, it’s members of the younger generation (64% of 18-24-year-olds) who are most inclined to claim to have read books when they haven’t done so.

- Guardian

Nope, I didn't reach much Shakespeare.  I found the play format difficult to approach whereas prose was more agreeable.

Odd that it seems Millennials are likely to blow smoke about reading and that's not too good.  If they didn't read the basic stuff (as I've suspected) then why not and what's the point of lying about it ... just read the damn book.

Hat tip to the author on mendacious millennial malefactors.  Loved that one.

There was a link to a list of thirteen books people are most likely to lie about having read.  To get the full elitist buzz, I had to check that one.  I had read about half of them and I wouldn't have bothered with the others.


You may find some dry amusement in the article and you will see the author enjoys playing with words.


No, I have never read "War and Peace" nor have I ever had any desire to read it.  Now (sob) everybody knows.

No comments: