Monday, December 14, 2015

Ain't Wastin' a Dime on Organic Food

When there are limited funds (i.e. most of the time), you get good at playing "The Price is Right" and you won't win a car if you get it right but ... wtf ... I don't want a car.

The general economic principle is organic food costs more for less and mostly I don't care because it's easy to avoid organic food but producers make a big deal out of it with breakfast cereal.

After deciding Pepsi and Marlboro cigarettes were probably not my best choice for breakfast nutrition, there's not much left when Kellogg's Corn Flakes are like a meal of a wet newspaper.  However, there's granola and some types of that are good-eatin' stuff.  I'm the Market Boy since it's usually me who goes out for supplies.  Don't read any shot at Yevette into that because I like that job ... when I could be bothered to do it.

It surprises me each time with granola because I'm a bitch about shopping.  My reading glasses are a required part of it because I inspect expiration dates, cost per ounce for the product, and things of that nature.  I don't mind doing it because I know Yevette won't and usually I go when she's asleep anyway.  Again, don't read any resentment into that, I really do like being the Market Boy.

Note:  that's another great way to save money at the market.  Go by yerself.  My friend likes to pose trivia puzzles on Facebook and one of them was about what's the best way to save twenty percent when you go shopping.  It took quite a number of guesses before anyone got it right but the answer was shop by yourself.


The organic granola is what gets me torqued because cereal is expensive anyway and an organic label makes that even worse.  How much worse it gets strikes me every time with the granola because of the tremendous disparity in price.  There's a box of granola which looks oh-so-California ... and it costs about a dollar or so less than a box of Quaker granola with cinnamon, almonds, and raisins.  Maybe that looks like a good deal ... until you compare how much is in the box of organic granola to how much is in the box of Quaker product:  much, much less.

The box of Quaker granola has twenty-eight ounces of cereal whereas the organic granola only has about fifteen ounces.  Final ruling:  total rip-off with organic.

No comments: