Friday, January 2, 2015

You Can't Even Insult this Guy

There must have been some disappointment at Sunshine Daydream last night as there was confusion in trying to determine if anyone could hear me but there wasn't any melodrama and I don't think anything here counts as melodrama either.  I suppose the reaction now is, dayum, you can't even insult this guy.

Well, quite obviously you can insult me.  The trick is not minding the insult.

(Ed:  you stole that from "Lawrence of Arabia")

Right you are, laddie.  Let's go ride some camels.


I listened again just now to "The Silas TechnoHypnoGroove Christmas Song" and it's not falling down on me.  I could have gone easier on the reverb on the vocal but I won't be stabbing myself over that.

Some call this type of thing 'ambient' but that word, to me, is synonymous with pointless.  For me what I do is the oldest form of Jelly Pudding rock before all the creampuffs came along to formalize things, make processes out of things, and create endless cookie molds to make music look like an elephant or a chipmunk.  Music is now very good at looking like elephants and chipmunks but it's forgotten about "Spoonful" and that's exactly the thing I want.  I'm no Clapton and the drum kit is sure as hell no Ginger Baker but it's conceptually the same.  If it's not an exploration, why even go.  What comes from going anywhere you've been before.

Historical note:  Cream did a version of "Spoonful" that went out maybe twenty minutes.  People talk about free-form and then there's doing it.  This one was doing it and the whole song was based on an elementally simple riff.

So that's how it goes.  My music will never be perfect and there will always be mistakes as there is no chart for what I'm playing and there never will be.  I don't want one.

(Ed:  you still don't know what to call it, do you?)

Nope.

No comments: