Friday, December 11, 2015

Lots of Playing But Not Recording

The piano solo before starting the first phrase in "The Sanctuary Song" has become a bit of an obsession.

I'm not much of a pianist but at least I play better than Vladimir Putin.  I watched him playing the other day and he uses one finger on his left hand for bass notes but you should at least get your thumb and your pinkie finger rocking on the octave to get a beat.  So, there's one thing I do better than Vladimir Putin.

(Ed:  at least he recorded "Strawberry Hill")

Good point.


It's not a problem and maybe it interests you to think of how it goes.  There's a four-note riff from Gabriel's Horn and you can go to the Moon with that if you like, it goes anywhere you want to take it.  And that's the trouble because it's fascinating to find where it goes.

Compounding the wandering is I can get quite different voices by turning a wheel so it's easily possible and even likely I will spend hours playing a similar thing but trying it with different voices to hear which one 'says' it best.  There are more than five hundred voices in the Korg synth and another five hundred of a more complex type of voicing.

With keys, it's not so much a matter of remembering to breathe but rather remembering you mustn't lock your legs.  That can cut off circulation to some extent and you can faint from it.  Odd how seemingly trivial things can have a tremendous effect on the music.


Cadillac Man and I talked for some while last night and part of it was about having a purpose and wanting to make a difference.  Cat and I were talking about it this morning as well because many people retire and they get lost.  For thirty years, someone has been telling them what to do but now no-one does that and many retirees go into freefall behind that.

For me it's a clear thing as the Commandment is play something which doesn't suck.  I can't give any lesson on how to keep something of this nature in your life while you're working because I was playing the guitar before I started working and the job was only a means to pay for it.

Cadillac Man said I want to 'make a difference' and I haven't thought about that so much but it's true.  I do see it for music in performance because you see clearly in doing it you bring goodness to people and everyone gets off on it.  Even if you only make someone smile, it's a difference and it's good.

We got a bit into purpose because it's been a few months for him but there's still a sense of freefall.  I asked if it's your purpose to make something, absorb as much of whatever interests you as possible, or both.  There's not an answer because that's the same question for anyone.

I don't believe I have any Calling but I should have been killed in multiple motorcycle crashes because even a small variation in how they went down would have put me immediately into a box.  That goes into the Great Mystery category because it seems like it has some meaning but who can know.

So, yah, it really is easy for me because I really don't want to do anything else.  If I'm 'supposed' to be doing anything, there's no doubt in me this is the thing.

(Ed:  record it!)

All in good time, my man.  All in good time (larfs).


No comments: