Saturday, April 18, 2015

"Ride the Dragon" is Brutal and I Love It

There's a live version of "Ride the Dragon" and this a love it or hate it tune as it is fucking brutal.  The vibe is not at all harsh as it's about having no fear, ride that dragon.  The rhythm guitar goes past the chainsaw sound I kind of like and it is as brutal as I care to get ... but that's about the level of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ... so you'll love it or hate it.

There is an Ethical Consideration, however.  That may seem unusual for a song deemed brutal but so it goes.  There's a lot of guitar lead and that breaks to a B3 organ ... but ... there is a wee bit of clipping in half of the B3 set so I have two options:  edit the section out or try to EQ it out by dropping selected frequencies.  The Ethical Consideration is that both are illegal for my view of a 'live' recording.  The first is forbidden as any cut is an immediate fail, it's not the live set anymore.  However, screwing with the EQ is more like a misdemeanor.

There is also a Financial Consideration as I'm getting ahead of myself.  "Pigment of My Fascination" is released and out there so it isn't interesting anymore.  However, if anyone will buy it then I have to spam that shit and I hate that like dog food with ketchup ... which might even be ok.  How should I know.

This is the crackwhore part of social networks.  I need to guilt my friends into sharing the link to "Pigment of My Fascination" so they tell their friends, blah, blah.  That's how it works today and I'm sorry I called you a crackwhore (no, I'm not) but it's just not an acceptable way for me to make music.  It goes absolutely the opposite direction and in part that's why I don't care about being abrasive; if anyone buys my music it will be because they like it and not because they think it sucks up in some way.

But I'm really getting a bang out of "Ride the Dragon" as there is zero organization to my music and I've been finding a lot of things lately.  There are sixty gigabytes of music I've recorded with only about half a dozen folders.  I found "Ride the Dragon" in iTunes but that only has a fraction of all the songs in the recordings folder.  If I didn't mix it down then it never went to iTunes.  As I say, zero organization.  This means I keep finding stuff as frequently songs were only played a few times so I'll hear something and go, yah, I remember that now.  And this doesn't include another six gigabytes of archived live sets.  Oh, and also seventeen CDs I've released at one time or another.

So I'm going to try to EQ the B3 keyboard part as my thinking is to put it on the podcast ... but ... that's the getting ahead of myself part.  It doesn't do anything to spam a CD that's only been up for a week if I go off hustling another one.

(Ed:  you'll do it anyway)

Yup.

(Ed:  you're thinking you played better then than you do now?)

Yup.  It's a dagger in the heart and the reason for all the turmoil.  I have to believe it's not true or I have to stop.  However, I did play yesterday for the first time in weeks.  It was feeling good and aggressive enough that the monitors shut down.  There's always a feeling of dudeness in that as, yeah, I melted your bad ass.  Ha!

Endurance is no good so walk and then play brutal guitar again.  That's the situation and the video shows I'm doing it so onward to getting brutal.


So, yeah, I love you and I'll give you a puppy if you buy my CD.  Really.  (cough)

No comments: