Saturday, October 7, 2017

Seraphin, Tips on Using Hosting Check and MyDuckSoup

Seraphin, the problem to solve is first to ensure files resident on MyDuckSoup will remain accessible to Searching for Ithaka.  Secondarily, there are multiple reasons to keep MyDuckSoup online and they're good ones but they haven't anything to do with Ithaka.

The site at the center of this is hostingcheck.com and a thought I had was to establish you as a sub-account holder so we can continue using the existing Hosting Check account.



Creating such an account is not a problem and doing it this way serves the philosophy of anything which works is a solution.


Something which potentially works much better is to change all the information about me to refer to you instead since that should make you the de facto owner.  I'm not entirely sure this will work but it should since everything Hosting Check knows about me is contained in the panel in question here.

Doing it in this way cuts me out of access to that system but that's not a huge loss since I rarely use it except for paying the bill each year and that won't come up until May.

Mate, I think this should be my next move, mostly because I think the sub-account could work but could also create more problems.  The #Blotto creates additional problems due to fog and that's why the slow-going.

Changing everything to refer to you is really sounding good so it's on me to take that forward.  The problem is in borking it since then neither of us will be able to get into it.  I see that as a valid risk since no-one will be able to get into it anyway if I can't find a way to transfer MyDuckSoup to you.


Keep in mind the expense is not trivial since the basic cost is about $125 annually and that's been a fair deal for me since the site is fast and reliable.  For me, it's value at that cost.

However, Hosting Check is also trying to spank me for $200 as a one-time charge to convert MyDuckSoup to SSL security.  That type of security is much preferred but I don't have $200 to pay for it so I have ignored Hosting Check's campaign to change it.  Besides, if they want it activated for SSL so much, let them do it and notify me when they're done.

Given the dynamics of your new life circumstance, throwing a recurring bill at you is hardly the most auspicious move I could make but something I can do is to ensure you're clear on how much those bills could be.


If this campaign with Hosting Check does not work, there's still another option to save the Ithaka-required files on some other site when I can be sure of long-term residency.  That idea floats around in the background but I've not turned up anything useful yet.

Therefore, the next move is as above to make the specs for me now set to look like you.  That looks like the best shot.

No comments: