Friday, May 15, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 is Back to Its Crashing Ways

The symptom is the same in which it goes to a black screen and there's no recovery other than unplugging it from the wall for long enough for an SMC reset.  It's conceivable the machine is in a tiny loop and pulling the plug eventually shuts it down with the SMC nothing much to do with it.  In any case, pulling it from the wall is required or it won't restart.

The older disk which saw failures under 10.10.3 but not when repeated under 10.10.2 could not possibly be the culprit as it wasn't even attached to the system.  The same applies to other considerations I thought might be culprits (e.g. USB 3.0 hub, Firewire/Thunderbolt converter, etc).

The crash this morning invalidates previous testing and, by systems programmer rules, that means start over and repeat until the problem is identified.

(Insert editorial about how I hate computers and I got tired of systems programming years ago)

Part of what has come from this has been an appreciation of why I ever let these soul-sucking demons into my life in the first place and that was specifically for music and video.  While it looked like all that mainframe activity was a complete waste of time, it wasn't as I didn't know how far all this would play.  How do I know I don't need mainframe power for what I want to do unless I start screwing around to find out.

What ultimately came from it is that computer power isn't the problem but rather the cost of big-screen display devices sufficient for live performance would have been so outrageously high that no-one would be able to afford it.  My design requirement is at least one display model (i.e. 2D, 3D, or freeform) for each musician plus whatever other demented frivolity seems appropriate.  Very, very expensive.

The software is to create music in light and not through some simple algorithm in iTunes but rather through knowledge of the music and memory of what the instrument had played previously.  It will know if the current note is discordant relative to the previous and must correspondingly modify the display to account for that.  It must listen to the dynamics of the note, to all of the attack, sustain, decay aspects of the note, and mechanistically 'feel' it as much as possible.  From this the software can make some determinations of the 'quality' of the note and ...

(Ed:  you are after an AI visualizer?)

Exactly.  This started when I was maybe seventeen and I've wondered if you could do it then just what should this thing do.

Be careful of tangling with this, young grasshopper.  Nothing has changed except the potential in the hardware has expanded so it becomes more feasible to do it and possibly less-expensive but you're still talking about one long ton of money to build this thing.

There's no interest in programming for me anymore as I just want to play but it'd be cool to see if someone else builds it.  Don't limit yourself to 2D display as thinking only in terms of flat screens keeps you in a dimension which hasn't changed conceptually since the first CRT rolled onto the floor.

Dream big, it just might happen.

On Yosemite 10.10.3, maybe not so much.  This is not a dejected give-up but rather an ok, bitch, show me what you've got as you're really pissing me off.  I've run into some sneaky bugs at times but this one is stone evil.

No comments: